Second impression of Myanmar



Uhum. Now I only have to figure out which sign represents which number. 
Luckily I had to take bus 51 so I could identify the 5 and the 1 from the paper money I had with me. I double checked it with a locals standing in the stop, they explained - in excellent English - that I should take the bus from the other side of the road... Yes, good idea, that might help me indeed getting into town. 
On the other side a girl started a chat with me and very helpfully ushered me into an overcrowded bus which would take me downtown. It didn't. It was immense fun though, two Burmese were herding the travellers into the bus and chasing them out, pushing occasionally to make us all fit. I could follow the blue dot I was on Google maps, and it was all going fine until I saw making us a turn and leaving the trajectory into the city and heading towards a blank emptiness on the map. 
I explained my fellow travellers where I was going, they told me where to get off and then I should take bus 30. No, I better took number 39. Or perhaps 29. Mmm, 21 might be the best. Yes, thank you a bunch. 
I made them write all these these numbers on my hand so I'd have a chance to recognize the busses, but none of these busses were going in the street for over 20 minutes. I gave my experiment another 15 minutes, and then I caved in and just took a taxi. Which only costed me 4 euros for about half an hour in the taxi (instead of the 50 cents for the bus). We dropped off the friend of the taxi driver somewhere and he pointed out where I should come back tomorrow to visit and he wanted to drive me all the way to the hotel, but the street was blocked. Turned out that that street was a meditation marathon. I couldn't see the street first because a thick fog of smoke was hanging in there and sri holy Someone was reading texts through the loudspeaker. I remembered that some Dutch tourists got into trouble because one of them wanted to sleep and went down around 10 at night into the street, unplugged the microphone of the holy man and returned to the hotel, only to be followed by the police and the angry believers, so I immediately understood that tonight we I would fall asleep meditating to the Burmese chants that still manage to penetrate through my earplugs. 

Comments

Popular Posts