I got lost

I went out for dinner in Chau Doc, in the Mekong Delta. It's not a big city, I went around the night market, the main square, the whole place was packed with people, some eating, many in the temple, some having drinks, very chill atmosphere.
However, I didn't have any dong, so when I saw at one place Caucasians sitting, I assumed that the place would accept dollars and I asked for the menu. I chose the rice with greenery sauteed in garlic, morning glory they call it. It was very very nice.
Then I wandered back to my hotel, using maps.me app and dubbele checking it in Google Maps. Wanderlust is really artificially enhanced nowadays. You just wish it, and there's an app for it. So I found the street, I even recognized the street, but I couldn't find the hotel. It has something from the horror movies when you know that you are standing in front of what was just an hour ago a hotel and now it's all little Vietnamese shops... I was growingly worried that I was going out of my mind.
A bicycle rickshaw pounced on me and though I explained that I must be here somewhere, hotel Hai Chau, oh yeah, sure, he said, let's go by bike. Just one dollar, c'mon miss, I'm poor,  I have no money.
Mokay, let's go.
Basically he took me around the block and delivered me to the exact same spot. But then magically the hotel appeared.
I was very much relieved that although I was so hopelessly lost, in the end I could find the way back to the hotel despite technology, with the help of this friendly local.

Comments

Popular Posts